The "general idea" is that all the crazy moving parts around a development environment are in this one file. This means if you have an insanely complicated setup, chances are your
Vagrantfile is probably too.
But, say if you have a simple PHP setup, it doesn't have to be! Finish the course and you'll see why.
I've broken down the
Vagrantfile into 5 parts you need. You can probably get away with just knowing 1 and 2 below, but we'll cover them all. It's not too bad!
- "Box" - Which operating system are we going to use?
- "Provider" - Where are we going to put the box?
- "Networking" - How are we going to see the box from our computer?
- "Syncing" - How are we going to access the files in the box?
- "Provisioning" - How are we going to configure our box?
This probably looks like gibberish right now, but don't you worry, we'll make sense of it later. These 5 parts are key to everything!
This graphic may or may not make any sense to you right now. That's okay.
I just want to tease this out. We will actually be coming back to this graphic at the end of this lesson group where it will make perfect sense.