Hello friends. This is a little embarrassing so I'll just get right out and say the main points here:
- A rogue process fueled by the power of 1,000 black holes caused us to lose over 70% of our images
- No. We did not enable backups on S3. It's not that we didn't know how to or that we should (you should always have backups), it just didn't happen for our images on S3. We do have backups for all of our database, content, and posts. Just images that were hosted on S3 are gone with the wind.
- We need your help to grab all our images back from your local browser caches.
We've already written a script to recover 30% of the images from archive.org. We are also in contact with AWS support and have put safeguards into place so that this never happens again.
Table of Contents
How You Can Help?
We have a JS script that will download all Scotch.io related images from your Chrome browser's cache.
Here are the instructions:
- Go copy the JS script here: https://gist.github.com/ncerminara/60ddf5159c48b2d9a444
- Go to your Chrome cache at: <chrome://cache>
- Open Chrome console:
ctrl + shift + jor
cmd + opt + j
- Paste the script
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org the newly downloaded ZIP file
Please feel free to look through the script. It loads up jQuery and just decodes the information from the browser's cache. It will then download it to a ZIP file.
Offline RSS Feed?
If you subscribe to our RSS feed, and you have your RSS saved for offline mode. Hit us up ASAP. We're probably more than willing to give you more than a shirt for your help...
What Will You Get?
Scotch.io stickers! For your help in recovering our wayward images, we'll send off a pack of 3 of our famous Scotch.io stickers.
Stickers for EVERYONE who participates and if you have a ton of our Scotch.io images cached, we'll get you a Scotch.io shirt!
All we ask is that you grab any images from your browser's cache and send them our way!
Seriously. Thanks for the Help.
Hopefully with everyone that pitches in to help, we'll be able to recover the majority of our lost images.
We'll be triple backing up everything from now on and I'll be putting it all on a hard drive and sleeping with it under my mattress.
Thanks very much for any help and images you can muster.